“The chemical is an artificial butter flavoring most commonly used in microwave popcorn. Numerous studies have found links between the chemical used by flavor workers and a rare disease called bronchiolitis obliterans. For those of you who aren’t 2000 yr old Romans, that means that the bronchioles and some of the smaller bronchi are obliterated by masses made up of fiberous tissue. It’s like sticking marbles into the networks of tubes in your lung that connect fresh air to the alveoli, the little sacs where oxygen and carbon dioxide are exchanged with the blood.”
Oh. But I love popcorn…
And that’s okay, because I don’t eat microwave popcorn. The very same Sabrina pops it for us on the stove and it’s DELICIOUS. (I admit that I never knew how to do this because we had one of those plug-in poppers). We have found a surprising large gap between regular and organic (organic being way more fresh and flavorful and it’s cheap in bulk).
Heat olive oil in the bottom of a pot with a cover. Throw in one kernal. When it starts to bubble (Greg taught me this), add in the rest (one or two small handfulls) and cover. It will start popping rapidly and when it slows down, turn off the heat. Once it stops popping, you’re in business. We like it with a little Earth Balance and some salt and pepper.
You’ll forget you even have a microwave.